Canberrans for Powerstation Relocation is a community association that cares about the environment and our health who formed in 2008 to win a fight against a gas-fired power station proposed near residents.
The group is now responding to the draft EIS (Environmental Impact Statement) for a proposed oil refinery at Hume, ACT (Australian Capital Territory, Australia) to use a catalytic cracking process to liquefy plastics to a sludge and then vaporise them to recover fuels such as diesel, petrol and liquid petroleum gas in 4 giant kilns and to store almost 2 million litres of fuel on site, within 1.3km from homes.
The refinery is proposed at this new location, after failing to get approval in Berkeley Vale, NSW (New South Wales, Australia) - its approvals were withdrawn, as there was a lack of empirical data for its safety.
Our submission to the ACT Government's Environment and Planning Directorate (ACT EPD) is posted here for you to view, along with others. These cover the many faults in the EIS and raises serious questions to be answered. We've also put together a fact sheet (178Kb).
|What to do now:|
Sign the petition and share it - now.
Update: Public submissions are now closed against the draft EIS at the ACT Environment & Planning Directorate website.
Write to your representative in the Legislative Assembly, list of members here.
We have written to the Ministers for Planning and Land Management, Health and Climate Change and Sustainability (Mick Gentleman, ACT Labor, Meegan Fitzharris, ACT Labor and Shane Rattenbury, ACT Greens. You can view our letter here (290.1Kb)
The following submissions are made public to allow you to view the range of issues including lack of consultation, governance, environmental and health shortcomings, safety and security risks. Files marked NEW were added during the submission extension period.
• Resident A - Submission_FOY_Group (287Kb)
• Resident B - Submission_DraftEIS (222.1Kb)
• Resident C - EIS_submission-22Sep2016 (85.2Kb)
• Resident D, 1 - Submission_Draft_EIS_Proposal_201600038_v15 (11.3Mb)
NEW • Resident D, 2 - Follow_Up_Submission_Draft_EIS_Proposal_201600038_v14.pdf (797Kb)
• Government Paddock User Group - GPUG sub on plastics to fuel facility (288.2Kb)
• Resident E - ACTPLA_sub_plastics_to_fuel (73.5Kb)
• Resident F, 1 - FOY_Proposal-Submission_to_ACTPLA (97.8Kb)
NEW Resident F, 2 - Community_Submission_ICS_Issues (68Kb)
• Resident G - FOY_submission_to_DRAFT_EIS (138Kb)
• Gilmore Residents Group - EIS_FOY_Gilmore_Res_23Sep16_v3 (8.2Mb)
• ACT Equestrian Association - plastics_to_fuel_cl-bs_sub (157.2Kb)
• Jerrabomberra Residents Association - Submission-EIS-Hume-Waste-Plastic-To-Fuel-Facility_JRA_27092016 (58.6Kb)
• Resident H - 13-Hume_Waste_Plastic_to_Fuel_Facility (335.8Kb)
• Tuggeranong Community Council, 1 - 14-TCC_Plastics_Response_1.0 (572.6Kb)
NEW • Tuggeranong Community Council, 2 - Plastics_Fuel_Proposal-TCC_Response_4.0 623Kb